February 21, 2012

Basic Training Series: Introduction to the Nervous System: PRINCIPLES


Well, I am back! It's been MANY months since I wrote something in the blog and to be honest, I missed it.

Anyway, I am back and wanted to get into writing something that is near and dear to me: THE NERVOUS SYSTEM. Don't worry. This wont be the only thing I write about but it will be among the central topics that I write about. It's my blog. I can do whatever I want. hehe

Okay, let's get to it:

(Before I begin, I want to PROFUSELY thank Canadian phyiotherapist, Diane Jacobs, for helping me understand this complex system. Hopefully, ONE DAY, I can have an iota of her profound knowledge of the system. THANK YOU, DIANE!!!)

 Here are some quick facts about the Nervous system according to Jay B. Angevine at the University of Arizona written in the 4-volume Encyclopedia of the Human Brain, 2002, edited by V.S. Ramachandran. 





  • 100 billion neurons of 10,000 types, 
  • 1-10 trillion neuroglial cells, 
  • 100 trillion chemical synapses, 
  • 160,000 km. of neuronal processes, 
  • thousands of neuronal clusters and fiber tracts, 
  • hundreds of functional systems, 
  • dozens of functional subsystems, 
  • 7 central regions
  • three main division

Wow! That is a lot to take in, so given the sheer volume and complexity of it, I can see why it's so hard to understand. In this "Basic Training Series", I'm going to try and break the Nervous System down into something that is easier to understand. Let's see what happens. 


BASIC PRINCIPLES OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM


Jay Angevine writes about the 8 Principles of the Nervous System in the Encylopedia of the Human brain. They are:

1. Ubiquity
2. Unity
3. Centralization
4. Specialization
5. Purposefulness
6. Uniformity with Versatility
7. Plasticity
8. Chemical Message Coding

I am working to keep my writing short these days so I'll go through all eight in separate posts. 

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. 

In Mind, Body and Spirit,

Will 


No comments:

Post a Comment